There's more - additional trends that will impact us for years to come!
JWT - still known to many as J Walter Thompson - is one of the world's best know marketing communications companies. (See http://www.jwt.com.) Each year, JWTIntelligence (see http://www.jwtintelligence.com) puts out a list of 10 trends that will shape our future for years to come. The implications for business are incredible - for entrepreneurs, job seekers, executives looking to make a shift, etc. Here is their 2014 list (with a brief definition/explanation for each item):
- Impressive experiences
- We don't want a tour anymore - we want to BE an experience (climb a mountain, don't just drive by it)
- Do we speak visual?
- We now speak in photos, selfies, video snippets, etc.
- The age of impatience
- Expectations for speed and ease are rising exponentially
- Mobile as a gateway to opportunity
- For emerging markets - healthcare, education, senior services, etc.
- Telepathic technology
- Brain/computer recognition - brands are adjusting in a personalized way
- The end of anonymity
- Being OFF the grid is becoming less and less possible - there are sensors everywhere
- Raging against the machine
- We ARE beginning to both fear and resent technology - concerned about what we have lost in our rush for progress
- Remixing tradition
- With EVERYTHING changing, we are mixing old traditions with what feels right
- Proudly imperfect
- Quirky, messy and flawed are feeling more authentic and meaningful
- Mindful living
- Trying to shed distractions/focus on the moment; we are trying to experience things in a more present and conscious manner
Look back at JWT's list for the past few years - you can see how their "Director of Trendspotting" has found trend areas that indeed have changed our world and the opportunities presented. Each year JWT also produces a 2-minute video explaining the trends. For 2014, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEzeSym8v3c.
Check back a few years - and move forward. The story told is powerful.